This is a handout that Matt received at his first Division 1 practice. From an unattributed source, it is outstanding advice for any age.
- Have a can-do attitude
- Have a “how can I help” attitude
- Have a “we can win” attitude – think like a winner!
- NGU – Never Give Up!!
- When you’re down, you have to get back up
- When a teammate of your team is down, be an encourager
- Remember – A winning attitude is contagious, so is a losing attitude
- It’s your job to stay positive
- Have a short memory: When you make a mistake, forget it and go on. If your teammate makes a mistake, tell him to forget it. Encourage, encourage, encourage.
- Always hustle on and off the field
- Give your best at all times
- Always be ready – don’t space out
- Know what the current game situation is at all times
- Have a hunger to learn
- Always look the coaches in the eye
- Change when you need to change – don’t be a “know it all”
- Look for any opportunity to learn
- Be a gentleman/lady
- Never argue with an umpire, respectfully let him know what your thoughts are
- No temper tantrums
- Show good sportsmanship
- Show respect to your teammates, your opponents and your coaches
- Be Honorable
- Take control of your life, be responsible for everything that “happens” to you
- Organize your gear at home so you are ready to go
- Practice regularly. Don’t waste time
- Be Dependable
- Be Consistent
- Know that your team is counting on You
- Have Poise: Be cool, never let them see you sweat