• Professional baseball players set individual-goals & write them down.
• Youth baseball players should list obtaining college baseball scholarship as primary long-term goal.
• Performance-goals must be established each year that are attainable in short term.
Functions of Goal-Setting
• Provides direction to focus energy.
• Provides feedback on progress.
• Provides valuable source of motivation
Principles of Goal-Setting
• Emphasize performance & de-emphasize game outcome.
• Be measurable & specific, as opposed to vague & general.
• Be challenging & realistic
• Be stated positively, not negatively.
• Include short term (daily), intermediate, & long-term (dream-goals)
• Be explicit & write goals.