Are you ready to be an Umpire? Make the Call is a regular opportunity to test your baseball knowlege based on real game situations. During breaks in practice I will throw one of these type questions out to the kids to exercise their minds and keep their heads in the game. Let’s take the field and play with these five brain teasers!
1. Pitcher delivers the ball, batter hits a line drive back at the pitcher and the ball bounces off the mound and directly into the first base dugout. Fair ball or foul?
2. The bases are loaded and there are no outs. A ball is hit straight up and the fielding team manages to get three outs without touching the ball. How do they do it?
3. A fly ball is hit to the outfield where both the right fielder and center fielder can catch it. True or False: Neither player should call for the ball until they decide who should take it.
4. A ball is popped up into shallow left center field and it can be caught by either the shortstop or the left fielder. Who should catch it:
- A. The shortstop
- B. Either player can
- C. The left fielder
- D. It depends on the game situation
5. A ground ball into the outfield is bobbled by the fielder and is laying off to his side. True or False: The fielder should pick up the ball with his glove because his glove is bigger than his bare hand.
If you dare, send in Comments with your answers and they’ll be published. Otherwise, read the next installment to check your stats!